Save the Children’s Den Day is about children being sponsored to transform their sofa, school desk or even a boring cardboard box into a magical super den. And the money they raise will help to save lives around the world
Save the Children’s Den Day is a brilliant way for children of all ages and abilities to get creative and learn independently. And the sponsorship they raise will help build a better world for children who don’t have anywhere safe to shelter tonight.
How will you build yours?
* Let your class head off on a Den Day safari without leaving the classroom. Use bed-sheets, bunting and pegs to create an awesome indoor tepee, make some binoculars out of carboard, and maybe some cut-out animals to spy on.
* Why not fix up a den in the great outdoors? Decorate a solid structure like a climbing frame with sticks and leaves – and remember to bring plenty of blankets and rugs to keep warm!
* Do your kids want their secret midnight feast to be a private party? Then let them pile up the cushions, create a bed-sheet teepee, and make a no-entry sign to go outside their living room den.
* Or why not help them build a brilliant bazaar in their bedroom, filled with flying carpets, magic lamps and other treasures? Raid the dressing up box for some crazy costumes to match.
* Once everyone’s finished creating their shelter, it’s time to get cosy. Plan some activities for your children – set up a crafty activity or let them watch a film they love. If they’re staying in their dens overnight, bedtime stories and midnight feasts are sure to go down a treat.
* Whether you’re planning a camp-out style sleepover or simply a school day with a difference, sign up now http://denday.savethechildren.org.uk/sign-up/ to receive A special Teacher’s kit. It’s full of loads of tips and hints to help you weave some Den Day magic – and loads of extra learning – into your lesson plans.
Have fun… enjoy being creative
(Photographs used in this blog are not owned by eyfsmatters)